Riding Establishments - Registration

Why do I need a licence?

To run a riding establishment you may need to register with your local authority and comply with local health and safety rules.

What will I have to do?

You may be required to have a copy of the certificate of registration and copies of the bye-laws of your local authority displayed in your premises.

What does the application process involve?

No provision in the legislation

What happens in the application evaluation process?

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Will Tacit Consent apply?

No provision in the legislation

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period of 40 working days.

Can I make my application on-line?

Apply for registration for a riding establishment.

What can I do if my application fails?

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

What can I do if I'm unhappy about the licence conditions?

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

How can I make a complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Are there other types of redress?

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Are there any trade associations?


For further information, please contact:

The Animal Welfare Officer
Telephone 01264 368000
Email  envhealth@testvalley.gov.uk