What is the Council doing to help?
Our Housing Service aims to:
- Provide new homes in Test Valley and achieving the target of 200 new affordable homes per annum,
- Ensure sufficient accommodation will be available for people in Test Valley who are or may become homeless,
- Make best use of the existing housing stock and ensure private sector housing is well maintained,
- Provide aids and adaptations to enable people to remain independent and stay in their own homes,
- Make the best use of existing housing,
- Create sustainable homes and neighbourhoods and
- Ensure there are sufficient resources available to address the priorities contained in the Housing Strategy and Action Plan
The way in which the service delivers on these aims is explained in more detail in the Housing Strategy. This plan is reviewed regularly and agreed in consultation with other organisations and Councillors representing the public interest. In May 2018, the Action Plan was reviewed and targets revised considering the emerging priorities such as new legislation and guidance, changes in funding regimes and new initiatives – Action Plan revised May 2018 (pdf, 443kb).
In 2000, Test Valley Borough Council transferred all its housing stock to Testway Housing, now Aster. They, along with various other Affordable Housing Providers or Housing Associations provide affordable housing in Test Valley. We continue to hold the Housing Register for their rented properties and advertise any vacancies each week through Hampshire Homechoice. We also provide housing advice to all that require it, helping people find their own housing solutions.
The Council is committed to early intervention and preventing homelessness wherever possible in partnership with our statutory and non statutory services. We are determined to deliver a proactive approach to the prevention of homelessness for all our customers and the Preventing Homelessness Strategy sets out the practical ways in which we will seek to achieve this.
If you require any further information on the above, please contact:
The Housing Development Manager
Telephone: 01264 368000