Volunteer Walk Leader Training
What is Volunteer Walk Leader training?
The Volunteer Walk Leader course is a free one-day course for anyone willing and able to lead walks in the community for Test Valley Health Walks
Walking for Health is England’s largest network of health walk schemes, helping all kinds of people to lead a more active lifestyle. Our walks are led by friendly, knowledgeable people, specially trained for the job. Along with fellow walkers, our walk leaders provide all the advice and encouragement a new walker needs to build fitness at a pace that’s right for them. In just a short time, a small amount of regular exercise can significantly improve a person’s health, well-being and confidence.
The training day includes:
- practice in leading a health walk
- benefits of and barriers to exercise
- information on special conditions
- common sense risk assessment
- benefits of the natural environment for health and wellbeing
- follow-up support and resources, including a Volunteer Walk Leader manual
- refreshments throughout the day, but please bring your own lunch.
By the end of the course you will:
- be aware of the main benefits of regular walking
- be familiar with the paperwork required
- know how to plan a route and recognise hazards
- understand the role of the leader at the start, during and at the end of a Health Walk
- be confident to lead a Health Walk (but there is no pressure to do so!)
When you have completed the course you will receive a volunteer walk leader certificate.
What you will need for the training day
Suitable clothing and footwear – you will be taking part in a short demonstration health walk.
Refreshments are provided. A subsidised canteen is available on site or you can bring your own lunch.
What is expected of you after the training day?
We hope very much that you will go on to join other walk leaders in your local scheme in leading
walks but there is no pressure to do so. Lots of people like to start by “back marking” for a few months and you will not be expected to do anything you are not comfortable with. A Back Marker is a trained leader who walks with the back of the group of walkers, making sure no-one gets left behind.
If you would like to attend the training, please complete the attached booking form. If you are not sure or have questions, please contact Louise Trayling on 01264 368649 or email@example.com
Volunteer Walk Leader Training Booking Form (docx, 98kb)