Other people in your household

Non Dependants
A non-dependant is someone who normally lives with you but is not:

  • Your husband/wife/partner
  • A child or qualifying young person that you get Child Benefit for
  • Someone jointly liable to pay rent and/or Council Tax with you

An example would be a grown-up son or daughter or other relative. Government regulations say that we must reduce your benefit by a set amount each week for each non-dependant who is living with you. The amount of this "non-dependant deduction" depends on the income of the non-dependant, not the amount they pay you. If no evidence of non-dependant income is provided, we may have to take the highest deduction.

If you get Disability Living Allowance which includes the Care component, Personal Independence Payment which includes the Daily Living Component or Attendance Allowance, a non-dependant deduction will not be taken if you provide evidence that you receive this income.

If you or your partner are of pensionable age or over there are special rules for non-dependant deductions. When a non-dependant moves into your household, or has an increase in income which would increase the non-dependant deduction, this change is delayed for 26 weeks from the date when it occurred.

Married/unmarried couples/civil partners or same sex couples only attract one non-dependant deduction based on their total income.

Where a non-dependant lives with two relatives (not a couple) the deduction can be divided between them.


Qualifying Young Person
Child benefit can be paid in respect of a qualifying young person aged 19 who is in full time non-advanced education or on an approved training course that begins before their 19th birthday. This means the qualifying young person can continue their education without child benefit stopping. Child personal allowances and premiums in Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support can continue to be paid, providing they are a qualifying young person, until their 20th birthday.

Entitlement ends on the child benefit terminal date, that is, the earlier date of the qualifying young person either:-

  • leaving full time non-advanced education
  • completing their course of approved training
  • reaching their 20th birthday

Second Adult Rebate - Council Tax
This kind of help may be available if you are the liable person for Council Tax and your income and/or capital is too high to qualify for benefit and someone else in your household has a low income. Please note this rebate is only available to pension-age customers.