Hypnotism Authorisation

Below are some frequently asked questions about hypnotism authorisation.

Why do I need a licence?

If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public, you must have authorisation from the local authority.


You must comply with any conditions attached to an authorisation.

What will I have to do?

Submit an application, together with proof of public liability insurance.

What does the application process involve?

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence is available under external links on this page.

What happens in the application evaluation process?

No provisions in legislation

Will Tacit Consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period of 28 calendar days.

Can I make my application online?

See external links on this page.

What can I do if my application fails?

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

What can I do if I'm unhappy about the licence conditions?

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

How can I make a complaint?

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct (see external links on this page) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (see external links on this page).

Are there other types of redress?