Temporary Event Notices

Please read the following prior to submitting a Temporary Event Notice to Test Valley Borough Council:

 In view of the current pandemic, Government laws and guidance regarding Coronavirus (available at www.gov/coronavirus) require duty holders to put in place measures to control the risk of the transmission of Covid-19.

 To comply with these requirements, you will need to have carried out a suitable Covid-secure risk assessment for your event. Please see the Health and Safety Executive - Covid-secure risk assessments web page for guidance and information on how to do this. The Covid-secure risk assessment must be prepared as part of your planning for your event, and then implemented and managed for the duration of your event. Your Covid-secure risk assessment must also be made available upon request of an authorised officer of the Council.

As a significant public safety issue of concern, you should submit a copy of your risk assessment with your application. If you do not submit a suitable Covid-secure risk assessment with your application or any element of the risk assessment or associated controls fail to meet current Coronavirus law or guidance, your application and event will likely –

1)            attract objections; and/or

2)            be referred for review by the Director of Public Health (who may direct the closure, cessation and prevention of activities that may affect public health).

This may result in your application being refused and/or the event not being permitted to go ahead.


General information and guidance about temporary event notices, including details of where to send applications, is available as an attachment on of this page.

Frequently asked questions:

Why do I need a licence?

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event involving a licensable activity in England or Wales, you must give a temporary event notice (TEN) to your local licensing authority no later than ten clear working days before the event, or for a late TEN at least five clear working days before the event.

If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

Unless you submit an electronic application you must also give a copy of the notice to the police and Environmental Health Service no later than ten clear working days before the event (or five clear working days if a late TEN).

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five ordinary or two late TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 ordinary or ten late TENs per year.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between events.

What will I have to do?

An activity that can be licensed must be carried out as detailed in a notice that must be given.

The notice must be in a specific format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age.

The notice should contain:

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority
  • a statement relating to certain matters
  • any other required information.

The matters referred to above are:

  • details of the licensable activities
  • the event period
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters.

What does the application process involve?

A summary of the regulation relating to Temporary Event Notices is available as an external link on this page.

The TEN must be given in writing (including by electronic means) to the local authority at least ten clear working days before the event or five clear working days if a late TEN.  A fee of £21 is payable with the notice.

The local authority will acknowledge receipt of the TEN by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the first working day after it was received or before the end of the second working day after if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

Unless an application has been submitted electronically, the premises user must also give notice to the chief officer of the local police and the Environmental Health Service no later than ten clear working days before the event period (or five days if a late TEN).  Please see the guidance document available as an attachment for the addresses of the Police and Environmental Health Service.

What does the evaluation process involve?

The chief police officer or Environmental Health Service who receives a notice and believes that the event would undermine one or more of the licensing objectives can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within 3 working days of receipt of the temporary event notice.

The local licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. They may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of the licensing  objectives. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.  A hearing may decide to attach conditions to the TEN if it relates to premises where a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate is in force.  If an objection is issued in relation to a late TEN, then the event will not go ahead.

A police chief or Environmental Health Service may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

Counter notices may be provided by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted, subject to any objection, if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion date of four working days.

Can I make my application online?

Yes - please see external links on this page. Please note that you submit an online application via the GOV.UK web site and that the £21 fee can only be paid by a debit card. A downloadable (paper) application form is also available if you cannot use the online system.

What can I do if my application fails?

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

What can I do if I'm unhappy about the licence conditions?

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

How can I make a complaint?

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Are there other types of redress?

If a licensing authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Are there any trade associations?

Please see external links on this page.