Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Who can claim and how to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support, including a Benefits Calculator

More information

These benefits are administered by Local Authorities and paid to those on a low income to help meet payment of rent and/or council tax. Low income can be low earnings, low self employed income, income from other state benefits such as Pension Credit or out of work benefits. 

Who can apply for Housing Benefit?

Anyone who has a responsibility to pay rent on a commercial basis may be able to get help with paying their rent. You do not have to be paying rent to a housing association to apply for housing benefit. People who pay rent (including lodgers, boarders, sub tenants, hostel dwellers and housing association tenants) can apply. You cannot apply for Housing Benefit if you have claimed or are already in receipt of Universal Credit.

From 12 July 2017 you cannot claim Housing Benefit and must apply for Universal Credit if you have not reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit and:

  • you are a single jobseeker and no children live with you, or
  • your post code starts SO16, SO50, SO51, SO52, SO53, SP4 or SP5

Who can apply for Council Tax Support?

Anyone who is responsible for paying Council Tax for the property they live in, i.e. the named person, or their partner on the bill, may be able to claim help with their Council Tax.

If you would like to make a claim for help meeting payments for rent and/or council tax you will find details of making a claim on our Claiming Benefits page (including an online benefits calculator to estimate your entitlement to housing benefit and/or council tax support).

The quickest and easiest way to make a claim or tell us about any changes is to use the e-forms on this website, for further details please go to our Claiming Benefits and Changes in Circumstances pages.

If you wish to know about other benefits that you may be entitled to, please visit the Gov.uk website.