Personal (Alcohol) Licensing

Please note it is not possible to apply online for a new Personal Licence.  A downloadable application form is available on this page. 

Why do I need a licence?

Under the terms of the Licensing Act 2003 any Premises Licence authorising the sale or supply of alcohol requires a Personal Licence holder to be named on the Licence as the Designated Premises Supervisor. Without such a person all sales or supply of alcohol is illegal.


What does the application process involve?

You can only apply for a Personal Licence if you are aged 18 or over, have not had a Personal Licence forfeited within the last five years, possess an accredited licensing qualification and have not been convicted of any relevant or foreign offence. Details of relevant or foreign offences can be obtained from the Licensing Section or are listed in Schedule 4 of the Licensing Act 2003 (see external link on this page). The only licensing qualification that is acceptable is a Level 2 Award (National Certificate) for Personal Licence Holders. There are a number of providers of this type of qualification but please note that the council does not provide this qualification and cannot recommend a provider.

In addition, prior to applying for a Personal Licence you will require a basic level criminal records disclosure. Currently these can be obtained from Disclosure and Barring Service England and Wales (see link in 'Other websites') is unable to provide Basic checks. You will also need to provide proof of your right to work in the UK.


What will I have to do?

You should apply to the Council for the area in which you are ordinarily resident i.e. if you do not live in Test Valley Borough then you should NOT apply to Test Valley Borough Council for a Personal Licence. Please note that once issued, your licence can be used in any local authority area within England and Wales.

Once you are in possession of both the licensing qualification and criminal records disclosure you are ready to submit your application which should comprise the following:

  • the application form completed in black ink or type
  • the criminal convictions and declarations form completed in black ink or type
  • your licensing qualification or proof that you hold such a qualification
  • your criminal records check (NB the check must be no more than one month old at the time of submitting your application)
  • the fee of £37 (please make cheques payable to Test Valley Borough Council. We can accept debit but not credit card payments)
  • two photographs, one of which is endorsed as a true likeness of you by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community (including a bank or building society official, a police officer, a civil servant or a minister of religion) or any individual with a professional qualification (NB the photographs must be taken against a light background so that the applicant's features are distinguishable and contrast against the background, be 45mm by 35mm, show the full face uncovered and without sunglasses and, unless the applicant wears a head covering due to religious beliefs, without a head covering, and be printed on photographic paper).
  • copies of any documentation proving your right to work in the UK. A list of suitable documents appears at the end of the application form.

What does the evaluation process involve?

If the crimimal records disclosure reveals that you have been convicted of a relevant offence or corresponding foreign offence then we will pass these details to Hampshire Constabulary. They then have 14 days in which to object to your application. If they object, your application will be determined before a Licensing Sub-Committee. You will be able to attend the hearing and tell the Committee why you think a Licence should be granted.


Will Tacit Consent apply?

No. However, we aim to process all applications (except those where there has been a Police objection) within 14 days.


Can I make my application online?

Due to the supporting documentation that is needed, it is not possible to submit on-line applications for new Personal Licences. An application form can be downloaded from the attachments on this page. Once completed this should be sent to the Council:


Licensing Section
Test Valley Borough Council
Beech Hurst
Weyhill Road
SP10 3AJ



What can I do if my application fails?

If the Licensing Sub Committee upholds the Police objection and your application is refused, you have the right of appeal to the Local Magistrates' Court.


What can I do if I am unhappy with the licence conditions?

There are no conditions as such attached to a Personal Licence. However, once granted the licence holder must meet certain requirements relating to change of name or address and producing a licence.


How can I make a complaint?

Please contact us in the first instance.


Are there any other types of redress?

If you have a complaint about the behaviour of a Personal Licence holder then in the first instance you should contact the management of the premises where that person is employed. Failing that, please contact the Licensing Authority that issued the Personal Licence.


Are there any trade associations?

British Institute of Innkeeping (see external link on this page)
British Beer and Pub Association (see external link on this page)



With effect from 1 April 2015 the ten year expiry period for Personal Licences was removed and Licences now last indefinitely.  If your Personal Licence was issued before this date then there is no longer a requirement to renew the Licence.  If you would like a replacement Licence which does not show the old expiry date please return your Licence together with a passport size photo and the statutory fee of £10.50.