Street Collection Licences

General information and guidance about street collection licences is available under documents on this page.

NB. With effect from 1st September 2017, applications for Street Collections in Romsey will be administered by Romsey Town Council, please contact

Frequently asked questions:

Why do I need a licence?

To collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes in England or Wales, you require a street collection licence from your local council.

What will I have to do?

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence is available under external links on this page.

What happens in the application evaluation process?

No provision in the legislation.

Will Tacit Consent apply?

No.  You must receive approval before you can undertake a collection.

Can I make my application online?

See external links on this page.

What can I do if my application fails?

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

What can I do if I am unhappy with the licence conditions?

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

How can I make a complaint?

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct (please see external links on this page) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (please see links on this page).

Are there any trade associations?

Please see external links on this page.