Street Traders

You will need to apply for, and hold, a Street Trading Consent before selling goods or food in any street, or in any public area within 10 metres of the street, within the Test Valley area. This is a legal requirement in accordance with adopted powers under Schedule 4 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.  Certain exceptions to this requirement apply, including news vendors or roundsmen.

Links to an application form and copy of the Council’s Street Trading Consent Policy are available to the right of this page. 

Please note that, as well as applying for a Street Trading Consent, any burger van or similar mobile food unit which trades from a fixed location and sells hot food and/or hot drinks at any time between 2300 and 0500 hours will also need a Premises Licence issued under the Licensing Act 2003 for the provision of late night refreshment.  Information on Premises Licences is available on the Council’s website here where you can also download an application form and guidance notes

If you would like to discuss your Street Trading Consent application or want to check whether a Consent is required then please contact:

Housing & Environmental Health Service

Telephone:  01264 368000