Street Trading Consent

When do I need Street Trading Consent?

You will need to apply for, and hold, a Street Trading Consent before selling goods or food in any street, or in any public area within 10 metres of the street, within the Test Valley area.   This is a legal requirement in accordance with adopted powers under Schedule 4 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.  Certain exceptions to this requirement apply, including news vendors or roundsmen. A copy of the Council’s Street Trading Consent Policy is available to the right of this page. It usually takes about a month from receipt of your application to get a decision on whether consent will be granted. 

Can I make my application online?

You can apply and pay online for Street Trading Consent whether for a new application or a renewal of an existing consent.

Apply online

If you have any problems using the online application please telephone 01264 368000 and ask to speak to an officer in the Customer Services Unit.   If you cannot submit an application online please request that an application form be sent to you.

Please note that, as well as applying for a Street Trading Consent, any burger van or similar mobile food unit which trades from a fixed location and sells hot food and/or hot drinks at any time between 2300 and 0500 hours will also need a Premises Licence issued under the Licensing Act 2003 for the provision of late night refreshment.  Information on Premises Licences is available on the Council’s website here where you can also download an application form and guidance notes.

How do I pay for my consent?

You can pay for the application online using your debit card.   Please note that credit card applications are not accepted.   The online application will advise you what the current fee is.

If you would like to discuss your Street Trading Consent application or want to check whether consent is required then please contact:

Housing & Environmental Health Service

Telephone:   01264 368000