Tourist Road Signs in Test Valley (brown signs)

Hampshire County Council are responsible for the application and implementation of Brown Tourist Signs. Please visit their webpage below for further information.

Signs pointing people towards visitor attractions are often known as brown signs.

If you are a tourist business you may be eligible for signage to help direct your visitors.  Typical types of destination include:

  • Picnic areas
  • Museums
  • Caravan Sites
  • Buildings of interest
  • Recreational facilities
  • Sporting facilities
  • Natural beauty spots

More detailed guidance on the criteria for brown signs can be found below.

Tourism plays an important role in Hampshire’s economy, and we are very keen to support the industry. However, we have to balance this against our responsibilities for road safety, traffic management and the environment, so we will take care not to overload the roads with unnecessary signs.

Who can apply

Attractions and excursion destinations

Theme parks, Historic properties and castles, Historic churches , abbeys and cathedrals, Ancient monuments, museums and galleries, Parks and gardens, Nature reserves, zoos and safari parks, Natural attractions, including areas of special interest beaches and viewpoints, Leisure complexes, Equestrian centres, Pottery and craft centres and Vineyards.

Visitor facilities

Hotels, guest houses, bed and breakfast and other forms of serviced accommodation, Holiday centres, Camping and caravan sites, Youth hostels, Restaurants, cafes and pubs, Cinemas, theatres and concert venues, Arts facilities, Sports venues, Tourist information centres and points, Shops, Picnic sites and Tours and leisure drives and cycle routes.

Tourism signage is not for advertising, but to help visitors from outside the local area find facilities easily and safely.


If you make an enquiry we will tell you if your establishment is eligible for tourist direction signs.

Charges apply for the provision of tourist signage and to view our Schedule of Fees and Charges please click here.

If your attraction is based in Test Valley you should apply to Test Valley Borough Council.  Telephone 01264 368000 and ask for the Engineering team or e-mail: