Promoting Your Event

The Council is keen to make it as easy as possible for charities and community groups to promote their events. As an event organiser you have a lot to think about in the lead up to an event, so we have put together some helpful information to help you promote your event effectively and within the appropriate guidelines.

Cost effective ways of promoting your event

  • Press releases to local newspapers, community publications, radio stations and online community forums
  • Features in newsletters produced by local interest groups and town centre initiatives
  • Town or local interest websites
  • Leaflets using door to door delivery
  • Posters in public buildings such as libraries, leisure and community centres
  • Information boards at local railway stations
  • Parish magazines, notice boards and websites
  • Outdoor banners and posters

Outdoor banners and posters - Council display points

The Council has three community display sites for events publicity banners.

The sites are located at Vigo Road Recreation Ground, Andover; Test Valley Borough Council’s offices at Beech Hurst in Weyhill Road, Andover, and Southampton Road, Romsey, near to the Rapids Leisure Centre.

All three sites can be booked free of charge for the display of banners promoting non-commercial charitable community events in the borough.

More information, including helpful guidelines and an online booking form is available by clicking here or choosing the 'charity banner sites' related page content below.

Outdoor banners and posters - other locations

If you are thinking of displaying an outdoor advertisement you may need to consider if you should apply for Advertisement Consent from the Council. 

Information is available from the Duty Planning Officer at Beech Hurst, Andover or the Former Magistrates' Court, Church Street, Romsey:

  • Monday from 10am - 1pm
  • Tuesday - Friday from 9am - 1pm.                            

No prior appointment is necessary.

Alternatively choose the 'advertising' related page content below.

Large scale public events

A great deal of planning and organisation is required to run a large scale event successfully and safely.  Specialist advice is always available from the local authorities and the emergency services via the public events Safety Advisory Group.  

More information can be found by selecting the 'Planning a major event' related page below.

Road closures

The Council can close highways on behalf of event organisers under the Town Police Clauses Act for special events.  For large events consultation with the Council should start at around 26 weeks before the event, but for smaller events on lightly trafficked streets the procedure is far more straight forward.  Full information is available by clicking here or choosing the appropriate related page content below.

Local Street Parties

Guidance from central government on organising localised street parties can be found in the web links below.