If you are intending to demolish a building you must inform Building Control unless the building to be demolished falls within one of the following categories:-

  • The demolition of the internal part of a building, where the building is occupied and it is intended that it should continue to be occupied;
  • Where the external volume is not greater than 50m3;
  • The building is a greenhouse, shed, conservatory or prefabricated garage;
  • The building is an agricultural building , unless it is against a building that is itself not an agricultural building.

Where the works are not included in the above, Building Control should be notified of the intended demolition at least 6 weeks prior to the demolition being carried out. Please complete the Notice of Demolition form.

Once notified and following an inspection of the premises to be demolished, Building control will serve a counter notice.

Copies of this notice will be sent to Southern Water Services, Southern Electricity, Southern Gas Networks, Health and Safety Executive, Hampshire Fire and rescue service, owners/occupiers of adjacent building and other sections of the Council for their information and action if appropriate.