Do I need Planning Permission?

If you want to build an extension to your property or do other work to your home, or if you want to expand your business or change the use of your premises, you may need to apply for planning permission. Applications for a change of use need to be submitted on a Full Planning Permission application form.

Some extensions, improvements and alterations, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission. This is known as permitted development.

In some cases your permitted development rights may have been removed. If you do not know if your permitted development rights have been removed, or are unsure if you need planning permission, please contact us.

New guidance regarding the rules on permitted development for householders has been published by The Planning Portal (August 2010).

These simple visual guides outline common household projects and can help you determine whether you need planning permission and/or building regulation approval or not.