Hazardous and Specialist Waste

While the Borough Council does not collect special or hazardous wastes, here are some notes regarding disposal.

Cement Bonded Asbestos (CBA)
CBA is only accepted at five specially licensed Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) including Scott Close in Andover. HWRCs will accept standard sized sheets 120cm by 60cm (no more than 15 sheets). CBA must be wrapped in plastic sheeting or small pieces must be double bagged and sealed with tape to avoid the release of asbestos fibres. It is requested that you call the site in advance to confirm that there is adequate space to store it safely, otherwise you may be turned away upon arrival. No other types of asbestos will be accepted. Scott Close HWRC can be contacted on 01264 353438. 

Alternatively, please contact a specialist removal company - these will be listed in your local telephone directory.

Car batteries, vapes, mobile phones and laptops (along with other electrical appliances) can be safely disposed of at Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC).  Normal household batteries can be recycled at your local HWRC or at local shops that sell batteries (such as Tesco, Waitrose, Argos etc.).

To ensure that your tyres are dealt with responsibly they should be taken to a recognised tyre company. These will be listed in your local telephone directory.

Fire Extinguishers
The manufacturer should accept these. Household Waste Recycling Centres will only accept fire extinguishers if the manufacturer will not take them back.

Hazardous paint products (those with orange and black hazard symbols), white spirit and paint brush cleaners etc. can only be disposed of at 11 Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) including Scott Close in Andover.

Other Special or Hazardous Wastes
Other types of hazardous and special wastes (especially in large quantities) will need to be collected and disposed of by a private company. There will be a charge whether this waste is commercial or domestic in origin.

If you have any questions or need advice or support for disposing of other types of special or hazardous wastes, contact Hampshire County Council on 0300 555 1389.